Thursday, March 11, 2010

Workin' On My "Open" Obedience Skills with Barbara!

Firstly, Mom thinks she's got the 'puter probs solved... at least for now. We are much speedier because we spent 12 hours backing up every single file on this thang, then went crazy last evening and this morning pressing the delete button again and again. Mom's index finger needs a massage heheh. We will be catching up, visiting our bloggie pals today and tomorrow. Thanks so much to all our sympathetic friends who also have or have had internet probs - may they be solved as easily as our problem was to fix. (Except Mom can't figure out how to restore the files from this little "Passport" external drive - uh oh...) And although thanks are on the sidebar, I want to acknowledge our immense gratitude to Ann at Zoolatry for creating the incredibly beautiful header up top. Ginormous thanks Ann - you are soooo talented!
I am in the presence of greatness... my obedience instructor. Paws crossed that I do well. Sierra, Moritz and I have all commuted over here together this morning, so it will be a fun bunch of work for us all! (Thanks to Sierra's mom for snapping these photos!)

I have been practicing a bit of "open" on my own, after having had some instruction from Barbara occasionally. Since I have one leg left to go for my CD, I'm still mostly concentrating on Novice. But sometimes Mom and I get bored, so we do something else like figuring out how to learn the Broad jump first.





Here's a movie of me jumping over it, while chasing a piece of hot dog. Later, I'll learn to turn after jumping and come to Mom with a straight front. And I have to do a good "finish" too.

Even though I am truly excellent at retrieving my kong or bumper and returning it to Mom, I really dislike this weird little plastic thing. It's taken forever for me to actually go and pick it up. Mom finally took some of advice from you all out there and got a clicker! Voila! Now I'm just rewarded with treats instead of a click. I still won't go after it over a jump or anything, but my skills here are coming along!


"Okay," I'm thinking to myself, "I'll do it, but the treat better be hugely 'high value'." And hot dog "dimes" certainly are!

Next: if I'd only retrieve the thrown dumbell, we'd be working on that, but for now, Mom throws a bit of hot dog while I wait, then says "Over!" After I score the treat, she calls, "Sam, Come!" and I return over the jump!

I'm so fast, I'm a blur!

I don't think I needed crossed paws! I get the rest of Mom's "dawg" supply and take a well-deserved "down/stay" while Moritz and Sierra perform! Have a good weekend!


31 comments:

Angus said...

What a great video. Real, unadulterated talent.

Infrequent Flyers said...

So glad you got some of the computer issues straightened out. There's nothing worse!

I love seeing Samantha do the jump and go for her hot dog dime. She needs a raise to a hot dog quarter!!

Brandon - The dog with a blog said...

Pawesome video, keep up the great work!

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

Glad the computer problems seem to be better. And what a great video. TD would do anything for a taste of hot dog:)

Woos - Phantom, Thunder, and Ciara

Sierra Rose said...

That was some good work Sammie!! You are truly amazing and I hope to learn like you my friend!!! Hot dogs sound pretty delicious about now too!! :)

Hugs and snaggle-tooth kisses,
Sierra Rose

Kari in Alaska said...

we had to do the same thing to our computer! We backed everything up and then removed it all!

The Army of Four said...

You're really talented, Sammie! We all stand in awe of you!
Tail wags,
Storms

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

What great pikhs!

Thanks fur sharing your video too!

Woo are furry talented!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra & Khousin Merdie
PeeEssWoo: Paws khrossed your 'puter issues are gone!

Unknown said...

Hi Sammie,

I'm just like you - I'd happily retrieve my stuffies and tennis ball and other toys but just wasn't keen on the Obedience dumbbell! Then Hsin-Yi used the clicker and she taught me to run out (with great enthusiasm), retrieve it and sit & present it beautifully - all within a week! Now I really love my dumbbell and get so excited when it comes out.

That is some cool stuff you're learning. I learnt to do a broad jump like that when I did that Beginners Agility course last year (they called it a long jump) - although it wasn't really that long for me - hee! hee!

Slobbers,
Honey the Great Dane

Rocky Creek Scotties and Rocky Creek Ramblings said...

We love your new header!! And we're glad you solved your computer problems.

Mom wishes we were as smart as you. Maybe we better talk to her about those hotdog dimes.

XOXO
The Rocky Creek Gang.

Sam said...

This all sounds great, but it's especially great that you're starting to get the hang of the dumbbell! We've been doing some practice with it, too.

houndstooth said...

You not only do a great job of going through your paces, you look great doing it, too! Just don't make the rest of us look bad, okay?

Bunny

Sonic said...

Computers are so bad, aren't they? Always messing people up with errors and stuff. And these mice things are hard to use! My paws ache!

Sonic

Yas said...

Brilliant!!
Have a great weekend too!!

Cheers,
Maxx

RILEY AND STAR MY MALTESEKIDS said...

Have a wonderful weekend to you too, Samantha.

Riley and Star.

Elizabeth Bergesen said...

Good work, we are very impressed!! Any tips on retrieving and 'letting go'?

Elizabeth & Luna

Martha said...

What a cool video Sammie, we reckon you could do that even without the hot dog sausage!
We are always very impressed by our friends learning to do all these things.
You are right - you were a blur you were so fast.
We know how stressful humans find computer problems so paws crossed that is the end of them.
love and kisses
Martha & Bailey xxx

Martha said...

ps we also meant to comment what a beautiful Header pic you have!

Gus, Louie and Callie said...

Sam you are awesome.. We are so proud of you.. We need to work on the sit, stay thing too but our is down, stay while mom opens the gate to the sheep..

Big Sloppy Kisses
Gus, Louie and Callie

Teddy Westlife said...

You are very clever Sammie. Seriously!

Hi Ozzie!

Bruce said...

Happy Weekend Sammie!
your cat pal,
Bruce:)

Dexter said...

You will be a champ in no time. That jump was no problem for you. So happy that the pooter is feeling better.

Slobbers,
Mango

Sally said...

Good job, Samantha.
Have fun continues.
Happy Weekend.

Nice woooh
Sally

Lorenza said...

Hi, Sammie!
Glad you fixed your computer problems! It takes time, right?
I loved your video and your pictures!
You are sooooo good!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Augie and Ti's mom said...

That video was so cute! Great job!

Unknown said...

Beautiful and talented.. my favorite combo and if only you came with fries too.
Nice work Sammie! oh oops and mom
norwood

ben said...

I been thinin' doesn't matter if you become a champ at gettin' the weird plastic thing, or have a perfect sit or stay. What matters is your peeps care enough to spend the time with you workin' on those things.

Valerie Cummings said...

GOOD GIRL SAMMIE! You are a superstar!!!! Hugs, Joey and Kealani

Molly the Airedale said...

You're such a smart girl, Sammie! You ace everything you tackle!
We LOVE your blog header picture! It's just beautiful!

Love ya lots
Maggie and Mitch

Ms. ~K said...

Wrooo wrooo, You're looking good!
Licks and sniffs,
Zack, Sassy and Buddy

Laura and The Corgi, Toller, & Duck said...

you have gotten some wonderful advice! I have used/am using the same methods for the broad jump and the "retrieve" over high with Lance and Vito. it's so much easier to work on the dog knowing to take the jump both directions no matter what weird angle it lands with food then also having to make sure a retrieve is good.