Saturday, March 21, 2009

Home from the Hospital



I finally got home from the hospital this morning. I’m too weak and tired to move around or express joy by vigorous tail wags, but my peeps know I’m really glad to be in my bed. I got a bandana from the vet techs, a neat get well "card" from Paco and Milo and some flowers from a friend. What happened is a long story, so I’ll try to shorten it. You know a lot about how it all started already.

I had surgery yesterday morning to remove a piece of glove that I just couldn’t get up myself. No wonder I couldn’t. When they went in to remove the obstruction, they found that a piece of thread from the glove had unraveled and curled itself around a part of my bowel. Unfortunately, the thread was still attached to the piece of glove that was stuck behind a “flap” in my intestine, so the thread kept tightening around my bowel and threatened to sever it in two.
I spent about two hours in surgery but they removed it all and saved it for me to see later. Everything got sewn up again and I’ve basically been trying to recover ever since. I’ve had a lot of shots – for rehydration and electrolytes and other ones to “calm” my tummy.


On left, pieces I got up. Lower right: intact glove. In baggie is the thread that was attached to stuck glove piece.


Now I am just working on getting sleep, keeping small laps of water and meds down and more sleep. If I can keep the water and this “magic” drug, as my doc calls it – sucralfate (http://www.medicinenet.com/sucralfate/article.htm), then I’ll feel much better. And then, if I’m able to follow through on all of the above, I may try some senior dog soup later – maybe. Right now though, I’m panting a lot from the meds I’m “coming off of,” as the vet just told my mom, and trying to sleep, but it’s hard. I’m just anxious and antsy even though my peeps are right by my side.

So that’s the tale of my past week. It was not fun, but I look forward to being back to my bouncy self very soon. I want to thank every furry creature and your moms and dads for stopping by to leave me such huge amounts of love and support. My peeps have learned a lot this last week and appreciate the good advice from some of you as well. We extend enormous amounts of gratitude and hugs.

xo Sammie

19 comments:

Pedro said...

Sammie,

I am so glad you're home. I've been stopping by to see if you're ok and am very relieved that the V-E-T was able to remove all that bad leather and thread from inside you! Rest up and take it easy so you can recover quicker!

Pedro

Rufus and Indie said...

We were really worried but we are very happy now you are home!
Get well soon,
Rufus, Indie and Lilo

ThePainterPack said...

Sweet Sammy!! I am so glad woo is home. Just take it slow and woo will be better in no time. I'm sure the hoomans are taking extra good care of woos!

Mya Boo Boo

Anonymous said...

Yippee! I'm so glad you're back from the vet and recovering! That's great news! Just try to rest, and listen to your peeps. The senior dog soup sounds kind of good, actually...but any soup does!

See ya!
Joey

Thor and Jack said...

Dear Sammie,
I am so happy you are home. Get well soon!

xoxoxo
Thor

Mason Dixie said...

Oh Sammie I am so glad that the string did not do any damage. And am so glad you are home with your mom and dad healing. I am sure you will be back to normal in no time. =)

Angel Tucker, Daisy and Leo said...

Sammie, we have been worried about you and are very glad to hear you are home, and hopefully you will be feeling like you old self soon.

Tucker and Daisy

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

My mom already pawed your mom BUT thank dog and praise cheeses woo got the attention woo needed!

Your story skhared my mom - bekhause it was tooooo much like a Sibe we 'knew' via SiberNet...

Please rest up!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra

Dughallmor Beagles said...

Oh Sammie! You poor thing, glad you got sorted though, we can't wait to see you back to your bouncy self sweet girl :D
Take care....and erm, only eat stuff that's in your bowl from now on, ok? BOL!
Slobbers xx

Anonymous said...

Oh, Sam! Glad to hear you're recovering. Thoughts are with you!

Oak said...

You poor girl! Welcome home, I hope you feel better soon.

Raising Addie said...

OMD you poor thing!

Thank God you are ok and in the comfort of your home.

We will keep our paws crossed that you heal up real fast.

It is so very scary the damage that can be done by eating stuff like that. We are so thankful that you have a wonderful vet that took extra good care of you during surgery.

Lots of Luv & Kisses
Addie and Lucie

Honey said...

Sweet Sammie! We're thinking of you!
Many hugs, and much love,
Honey and mom and dad

Suzuki said...

Oh! How horrible Sammie. I don't think we have met, my name is Scooby Doo and I am Suzuki's younger brother. I thought I would stop by to let you know that if you are lookin' fur love you should stop by her blog as I have started a new "business". Come by and check it out when you are feeling better.
Hugs from the Stud
Scooby Doo

♥♥ The OP Pack ♥♥ said...

We are so glad that they found out what the problem was - we were worried the other day that there still was something in there. We sincerely hope that your recovery goes well and you are back to normal soon.

Tail wags, the OP Pack

Ms. ~K said...

Wrooo wrooo,
Oh Sammie, you are one lucky puppy to have peeps who got the help you deperately needed...

Us retrievers are notorious for eating things we shouldn't...we can't help ourselves, huh?

Feel better soon pretty girl,
Zack, Sassy and Buddy

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for what you're going through - it is so stressful when things like that happen to your friends. We're glad Sammy is recovering and hope you'll all be back to yourselves soon!

Dexter said...

I am so glad you have a vet that knew how to fix you up. Sounds like complicated surgery. You have to rest now and be sure to let your peoples know if you start to feel icky again.

I'm sure that glove tasted really good and was very satisfying to chew on. Its hard to know what is bad for us sometimes.

Slobbers,
Mango

YD, sometimes with ♥June and ♥Angel Samantha said...

Sammie,

Sorry we missed your surgery post.
We are relieved to see that you got through the surgery and are back home save and sound. Please take care and get lots of naps.

Love,
Sammie & June